Next half-term, we are piloting a brand new House newsletter. It will be published on this website termly, and all of the content will be written by the students themselves. It will give a fascinating insight into the day-to-day life of the school. Each house (Brunel, Shackleton, and Turner) will have two representatives per year group, in Years 7-11. This team will have regular editorial meetings with their House Leader and the Communications Officer, and students will have to work to strict deadlines to ensure that the newsletter is published in time.
For this project, we are looking for students who are:
- Passionate and enthusiastic about writing;
- Wish to better themselves and develop their skills;
- Committed to attending regular meetings and hitting deadlines efficiently.
This is a fantastic opportunity for any aspiring journalists or students with a passion for writing creatively. It will allow students to develop their literacy skills, and will look fantastic on personal statements and job applications.
In order to put themselves up for consideration, students are required to submit a written piece (between 150-250 words only) on one of the following topics:
1) In what ways are Isambard Kingdom Brunel / Ernest Shackleton / William Turner still important to us today?
2) Write a review of a recent trip/activity you have taken part in with the school, explaining how you felt that it was useful in relation to your classroom studies.
3) Describe, in detail, an occasion where you feel that you went the extra mile to help someone else.
Click on a topic that you are interested in and fill out the attached form. Students can submit their form as either a hand-written hard copy, given to your House Leader, or via email.
The deadline for submissions is FRIDAY 27 FEBRUARY.
Tags: Brunel, House System, Shackleton, Student Writing, Turner, Year 10, Year 11, Year 7, Year 8, Year 9