We also offer a rich variety of clubs and societies. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Debating Club, Electronics Club and Scuba-Diving Club, are just a few examples of the range of activities on offer. These clubs run either during lunchtimes or after school.
The complete schedule of extra-curricular enrichment programmes (catch-up sessions, clubs, and societies) available to students – organised either by day or by subject area – will be available soon, along with specific documents for the music and PE departments.
Students are often asked to perform in other school events, such as the annual Awards Evenings (Key Stage 3 and Senior), the Year 11 Prom in July, and end-of-term and leaving assemblies. These opportunities give students the chance to hone their skills and demonstrate them in front of their peers and parents/carers.
Since 1980, the school has partnered with the Green School for a production in the school hall, putting on a variety of musicals and plays. These have included ‘Grease’, ‘Guys and Dolls’, ‘Fawlty Towers’, ‘Animal Farm’, ‘Fantastic Mr Fox’, ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ and the world premiere of ‘Billy Elliot’, which had never before been performed on stage.
These annual productions involve students from Year 8 all the way to Sixth Form students in Year 13. The music department is also heavily involved, scoring the shows and often including original compositions from the students. The production also offers students the opportunity to be involved in the design and production of stage scenery (with the design & technology and art departments), as well as in wardrobe and make-up, lighting, stage management, and other backstage duties.
- Art trips to botanical gardens or art galleries;
- Geography field trips to the South Coast and beyond;
- History visits to museums in this country and in Europe, as well as the annual Year 9 trip to the Ypres WW1 memorials;
- Performing Arts and English visits to the theatre, either locally or in the West End;
- Mathematics and science excursions to conferences, exhibitions and laboratories;
- French and Spanish residential trips abroad, to practise their language skills and absorb different cultures;
- Sporting tours to Europe.